Thursday, January 24, 2013

Basic Hummus


Years ago, my good friend Shana told me that once I started to make homemade hummus, I would never buy from the store again. I didn’t doubt her, but I did doubt it was as easy as she claimed. To this day, I think of Shana everytime I make hummus and chuckle a little bit to myself about how easy it really is and wonder what other things I’ve been buying that I could make a better tasting, fresher version of at home. If you’re reading this, Shana, I think about you and your family a lot because that is how often I make hummus!

Do you have a favorite flavor of hummus? I haven’t found one I didn’t like, which is why this recipe is so great. It’s the base of a really good hummus so double the batch and have one “original” and one experimental flavor!
Basic Hummus


Ingredients:
1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil
1 garlic clove, peeled
1 teaspoon each of paprika, cumin, red pepper
Salt and Pepper to taste

Combine everything into the food processor, add more or less spices to your liking. It’s that easy! Serve with pita chips and/or crudities.

Variations:
Add ½ - ¾ jar of roasted red peppers that have been packed in water
Add roasted tomatoes
Double the amount of garlic and lemon juice
Substitute olive oil for 2 tablespoons of tahini
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment